Kalanggaman Island derived its name from the local word “langgam” which means bird because the island is shaped like a bird. The island is famous for its crystal clear water and long stretches of sandbars. However, not everyone knows that this island is actually a famous dive spot for divers who are coming from Malapascua Island because of its gorgeous marine life and corals. Hopefully next time we can try diving, or at least snorkel near the shore.
How to Get There
Kalanggaman Island is located in the municipality of Palompon in the province of Leyte, Philippines. There are several ways to get there whatever is most convenient for you.
- PAL, Cebu Pacific Air and AirAsia have flights from Manila to Tacloban, Leyte
- From Tacloban city, go to Duptours or Van Vans Terminal to ride a van to Palompon. Fare is around Php 160 and travel time is around 3 hours.
- From Palompon, proceed to the Palompon Tourism Office and rent a boat to Kalanggaman Island. Travel time is around 1 hour. Boat rental is Php 3,000 good for 15 persons. See other fees below.
From Cebu City
- PAL, Cebu Pacific Air and AirAsia have flights from Manila to Cebu
- From Cebu City, go to Pier 1 Cokaliong office and ride a ferry to Palompon, Leyte. Fare is around Php 310 and travel time is around 5 hours and 30 minutes. You can check ferry schedules HERE.
- From Palompon, proceed to the Palompon Tourism Office and rent a boat to Kalanggaman Island. Travel time is around 1 hour by a regular boat. Boat rental is Php 3,000 good for 15 persons. See other fees below.
From Malapascua Island
- From Cebu City, go to North Bus Terminal and ride a bus to Maya port. Fare is Php 230 and travel time is around 4 to 5 hours.
- From Maya port, go to Tourism Office and register.
- Ride a boat to Malapascua Island. Travel time is around 30 minutes. Fare is Php 100 plus another Php 20 to transfer from the big boat to a small boat to take you to the shore.
- Join a Malapascua tour package for a Kalanggaman Island Day Tour. Travel time is around 2 hours. See Tour Rates and Fees below.
Kalanggaman Island Rates and Fees
Upon arriving, you need to pay environmental fees:
|Regular – Day Tour Rates||Overnight Camping Rates|
|Local Tourists||Php 150||Php 225|
|International Tourists||Php 500||Php 750|
Discounts are given to senior citizens and students.
Cottages are available for rent, as well as tables and chairs.
|Good for 15 persons||Php 250|
|Good for 25 persons||Php 500|
|Good for 30 persons||Php 750|
Php 30 for table and Php 10 for chair rentals. You can also rent a tent if you plan to stay overnight for Php 200-400 depending on the capacity.
Kalanggaman Island Day Tour Package from Malapascua Island
If you are alone or a small group, join the Day Tour Package which costs Php 800 per person inclusive of boat fare and lunch. Environmental fee not included.
As soon as you arrive in Malapascua Island, tour guides will approach and offer you tours. You can also inquire at your hotel or guesthouse or you may contact our tour guide Kuya Bimbo at 09268643431 to arrange a tour for you.
If you are a large group, you can rent a boat for Php 7,000 good for 15 to 30 persons. Boat rental is more expensive if you’re coming from Malapascua Island. For boat rental fees in Palompon, see below.
|Good for 15 persons||Php 3,000|
|Good for 25 persons||Php 3,500|
|Good for 30 persons||Php 4,00|
What to do in Kalanggaman Island
- Beach volleyball
- Beach bumming
Our photos and videos do not have any filters applied or enhanced/edited in any way.
Where to Stay in Kalanggaman Island
There is only one available resort in the island. But you can also pitch a tent and stay overnight.
Photo from JeTer Resort’s Facebook page
They have Teepee huts for Php 1000 good for 4 Persons. For Bookings, contact 09175874984 or visit their Facebook page.
Where to Stay in Palompon
Contact number: (053) 338-2880
Cor. San Francisco St. & Evangelista St.
Contact number: (053) 338-3098
Where to Stay in Malapascua Island
Photo from Be One Guesthouse’s Facebook page
Be One Guesthouse (We stayed here!)
Contact number: 09359440327
Evolution Diving Resort
Contact number: 09176312179
This itinerary is from Cebu to Kalanggaman island via Malapascua Island. Take note that this is only a sample itinerary. We stayed in Malapascua Island a day before we scheduled our Kalanggaman Island Day Tour. We also did not go back to the city from Malapascua, instead, we head to Bantayan Island next.
|04:00 AM||From North Bus Terminal, ride a bus going to Maya Port||Bus fare: Php 230|
|08:00 AM||ETA Maya port
Register at the Tourism Office
Ride a boat to Malapascua Island
|Boat fare: Php 100|
|08:30 AM||ETA Malapascua Island
You might need to transfer to a smaller boat to take you to the shore
Meetup with your tour guide for the assembly of the Kalanggaman Island Day Tour
|Boat transfer fee: Php 20|
|09:00 AM||ETD for Kalanggaman Island||Joiner fee: Php 800 inclusive of boat fare and lunch|
|11:00 AM||ETA Kalanggaman Island
Free time to roam around the island
|Environmental fee: Php 150|
|12:30 PM||Back to the boat for lunch time
Free time to eat, rest, or go back to swim or roam around
|02:30 PM||ETD back to Malapascua Island|
|04:30 PM||ETA Malapascua Island
Ride a boat to Maya Port
|Boat fare: Php 100
Boat transfer fee: Php 20
|05:00 PM||ETA Maya Port
Ride a bus to City
|Bus fare: Php 230|
|09:00 PM||ETA Cebu city|
- Do not swim in the sandbar, especially the farthest side. It is not safe because of the strong current. Please follow the instructions of your tour guide or the local guides.
- Mobile phone signal is available, but mobile data is intermittent.
- There’s no electricity in the island so bring powerbanks if necessary. We saw a kiosk where you can charge your gadgets for a fee, but we haven’t tried it.
- No ATM available in the island. Make sure to bring cash.
- Restrooms and shower areas are available but water is limited.
- You can bring your own food. There’s even a grilling station that you can use for free.
- Be a responsible traveler. Bring your trash with you and dispose them properly.
Some information are from Kalanggaman Island Blog.